Apple Picking Time Donut Sundaes
2 Years Ago | By Apricot Power
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup Gingerbread SuperFood Mix
- 1 ½ tbs cinnamon sugar, optional
Apple Spice “Soft Serve”
- 6 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- ¾ cup apple butter
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup silan (date molasses)
- Granola, for sprinkling
Make the donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350º and grease the wells of 2 donut pans.
- Beat together oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Add flour and Gingerbread SuperFood Mix, stirring only until just smooth.
- Using a pastry bag or a resealable plastic bag with a corner cut off, fill each well ¾ full. Bake 15 – 18 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire racks. If desired, dip one side of donuts in cinnamon sugar while the donuts are still warm.
Make the soft serve:
- Process the banana slices in a clean food processor work bowl, scraping down as necessary, until the texture resembles soft serve ice cream, about 3 minutes.
- Add apple butter, vanilla, and cinnamon, and process until just combined.
Assemble the sundaes:
- Place a donut in a serving bowl and top with apple spice “soft serve.”
- Drizzle on silan, sprinkle with granola, and serve.
“I want to eat better. Who am I kidding? I need to eat better. But I don’t want to give up the delicious fall treats that I look forward to. Who does? The truth is, you don’t have to forgo every sweet indulgence. With a little bit of thought and a little help from Apricot Power, you can have your donut and eat it, too. Baking rather than frying is an easy change. Pumpkin puree adds healthy fiber and beta carotene. AP Gingerbread Superfood mix adds a wonderful flavor, a boost of warm spices, and an awesome nutritional kick. The nutritional benefits are almost as amazing as the taste.”